Ever heard of Google My Business (GMB) but not sure of what it’s or how it can help grow your business?
Are you sceptical about the tool because you don’t know if it’s worth investing your time, money, and energy?
I get it!
As a business owner there are lots of online marketing strategies for you to implement. And all of these strategies require time, money, and energy. So you wouldn’t want to invest in strategy or tactics that wouldn’t produce results.
This post has covered the most essential things you need to know about Google My Business listing. By the time you’re done reading this post you will learn the following:
- What Google My Business is about.
- How to set up and optimise Google My Business.
- How to verify GMB.
So let’s get to it.
What is Google My Business?
GMB is an amazing tool that helps you list and manage how your business appear on google search and map. This tool allows you to add your business information such as business name, location, and operating hours.
It also, allows you to monitor and reply customers reviews. With the tool, you can learn how and where people find your business and lots more.
For one who is just getting started with local SEO, it’ll be nice to consider getting your business listed in Google My Business. Listing your business in GMB can help make your business visible when people in your locality search for products or service near them.
Remember that when someone is searching for a product or service near him or her chances are he or she is ready to buy. It’s essential that you ensure that all the information you provide in your Google My Business is correct. Because it’s with these information that customers will reach you.
Is Google My Business free?
Google My Business is totally free. Just that before your listing will be verified you need to have some sort of offline business space. Your business can’t be completely cloud base.
Getting started with Google My Business listing
Before trying to create a GMB listing account you have to carry out a Google search. The reason for the search is to check if your business already has a Google My Business listing.
If your type of business is the type that has existed for years chances are it may already have GMB listing. In such a situation all you have to do is to claim it.
How to claim Google My Business already exisiting listing
If you conduct your search and discovered that your business has an existing GMB listing, here are the steps to claim it:
Step 1: head to business. google.com/add
- Type your business information such as name, location then select it from the search results that you’ll see
- Check your business on Google maps or Google search
- Beneath the business profile, click on the CLAIM THIS BUSINESS button
Step 2: click on the continue button to proceed. You’ll be notified by Google that the profile has already been verified by another user. They will ask you to request ownership from the current account owner.
Step 3: click on the request access button, after you’ve clicked on the button fill-up the form.
Step 4: This is the last step. All you need to do in this step is to click on the submit button.
Once you hit the submit button the current account owner will be notified by GMB asking him to contact You. You’ll also get a confirmation email.
The present account owner will have 3-7 business days from the day you submitted your application to respond. If your application is approved Google will notify you. If it’s not approved you’ll also get a notification email.
But if you don’t receive account approval or disapproval message from google after 3-7 days of your application. An option may be made available in your dashboard to claim the account yourself.
All you need to do is to login to your Google My Business account and locate the claim or verify button on your dashboard. If you don’t find the option it means you’re not eligible to claim the account.
When you have successfully claimed the account. You can manage the profile as though you created the account from the beginning. You can add or edit the service area as well.
How to create GMB listing from scratch
If you run the check and it happens that your business already doesn’t have Google My Business listing, with just 8 steps you can create your listing. The steps are as follows:
- Sign in to the google account that you want to create your google my business account with. If you don’t have a Google account you’d create.
- Head to google.com/business and click on start now in the top right corner.
- Enter the name of your business in the field provided
- Type in the address of your business in the field provided
- Check the box if you do self-delivery. And if you don’t want your address to be shown publicly, check hide my address, then choose your delivery.
- Select your business category. Ensure that you select the right business category, that tells google who to show your business to.
- Input your business website or phone
- Select the verification option that is best for you. But if you’re not ready to verify your account at the moment click on verify later.
How to verify Google My Business Account
When you’re ready to verify your google my business account, you have lots of verification options to choose from. The following verification options are available:
Phone verification method
Here are steps to verify your Google My Business account using phone option on desktop:
- Login to your Google My Business account
- Select the business you wish to verify, and click on the verify now button
- Ensure that you can immediately respond to your business phone. Because you will be sent a verification code via the number
- Type in the verification code sent to you
Verification on mobile
- Open your GMB app
- Click on the call now button
- Type in the code sent to your business number and click on the arrow icon.
Immediately, you enter the verification code correctly your account will be verified. Your business listing will be visible on google maps, search, and other google own properties.
Postcard verification method
Here are the steps to request a postcard:
Postcard verification on desktop
- Login to your GMB account
- Select the business you want to verify
- Before you request for postcard ensure that your address is written and displayed correctly
- Click on the send postcard button
- Check your postcard mail. it can take as long as five days for the postcard to arrive.
When your postcard arrives, login into your GMB account
Click on the Enter Code button on the blue banner at the top of the page
Type in the 5 digit code from the postcard in the field provided
Hit the submit button. And that’s it. You have done it.
Verification on mobile
Open your GMB app
Click send postcard
Select the business you want to verify and click on I don’t have a code
Check your postcard mail. it can take as long as five days for the postcard to arrive
- Once you get your postcard, open your GMB app
- Select the business you want to verify
- Click on Enter code to finalise your verification.
Monitor your Google My Business insight
You can check how often people view your business profile on google maps. You can track how visible your business is to your prospects and customers using the GMB insight tool.
Here’s how to check it:
- Login your GMB account
- Choose the list you want to manage
- On the left menu, click on the insight button
It’s important to note that the insights you’ll see on your dashboard are insights for the past 28 days